Choose Your Future
|English||Languages||History||Design & Technology|
WHY DO TRANSITION WORK?
1. Because we want you to be really successful. What it takes to be successful at GCSE level is different to success at A-Levels. Same for AS to A2. Although you have fewer subjects, there are different skills at A-Level and the volume of work is greater because the depth and detail is more demanding.
2. Transition work will reassure you that you have selected the correct subjects for you. Alternatively, it gives you time to change your choice of subject at enrolment provided there is space and you meet the entry criteria. It is important to study the course that interests you and that you are sufficiently qualified to study.
IS THERE TRANSITION WORK FOR EVERY SUBJECT?
YES, every A-Level subject has Transition Work to complete.
There are 2 sections to complete, but the Skills Based is for the Year 11s coming into Year 12:
a. Skills Based Bridging Work (Year 12s’ only) – this is found under the “Skills” subject folder on the website. This only needs to be completed once and needs to be handed in to your Sixth Form Tutor in September.
b. Subject Specific Transition Work (both years) – which needs to be completed and handed into your subject teacher in September to be assessed.
IS THE TRANSITION WORK ASSESSED?
Yes. In September your subject teacher will ask for your Transition Work and it will be assessed. It forms part of your Interim Grade Report.
1. Teachers will diagnose your strengths and areas for improvement from this work and will support you in a ‘targeted’ way.
2. Transition Work also assesses your ‘work ethic’ and develops the ‘A-Level Mindset’ needed to be successful. Feeling motivated to study is key, so the Sixth Form Team will offer advice and support as required.
3. Year 12s - your Tutor will assess the Skills Based Bridging Work in terms of how much effort has been put in and the Sixth Form Team will implement further advice and support if the work is not sufficient.
WHAT IF I CHOOSE A DIFFERENT SUBJECT IN SEPTEMBER – DO I STILL COMPLETE THE TRANSITION WORK FOR THE NEW SUBJECT?
Yes. You will have a shorter period within which to complete the work in September, but with the correct mindset it should take you no more than two evenings and some study periods.
WHERE IS THE TRANSITION WORK?
Visit https://sphsixthform.co.uk/Bridging_Work/?year=11 and work on the subjects you have enrolled for plus any others which you think you might like to study. The subject specific material must be downloaded and completed for your first lesson in September.