Duke of Edinburgh Gold Award
At SPH, we offer full access to the Duke of Edinburgh Gold Award to our 6th Formers. We also offer Bronze and Silver Awards in the lower years, but you can participate in Gold if you have done previous Awards or not.
Over the past 18 months we have had 10 of our pupils complete their Gold Award, and either have gone or are due to go to either St James´ or Bugkingham Palace to celebrate their achievement with others from all over the country with members of the Royal family and celebrity award presenters. The current Gold Group consists of 12 pupils.
• Once you are 16 you can do your Gold DofE programme. No activities can be counted for this before your 16th birthday. This is why we normally offer Gold to Year 12 students.
• You will spend 12 months on your Volunteering section. For Physical and Skills you must spend 12 months on one and six months on the other – you decide which way around to do it. The expectation is for 1 hour per week on these sections.
• Your expeditions will be for four days and three nights and should take place in ´wild country´. We have traditionally used the Brecon Beacons and the Lake District. We run this with our in-house leaders, aided by experts in the field who we have worked with for many years
• The big difference at Gold is you´ll also do a Residential section – staying away from home for five days and four nights doing a shared activity with people you don´t know. It is great fun and a real chance to do something different!
• If you have jumped straight into your Gold DofE programme you will need to do a further six months either volunteering or whichever one of your physical or skills activities you spent the most time on.
• For Gold, you will need to do your programme for at least 12 months if you have achieved your Silver Award, or 18 months if you have started at Gold level without doing your Silver – even if you have done Bronze.
For all these award levels we have a very dedicated team of leaders who are experienced in the awards and volunteer many weekends for the benefit of the young people. Please contact our Centre coordinator, Mr Stewart (firstname.lastname@example.org
), for more information on the Award Programme.