Sixth Form Careers
Once you have embarked upon your Year 12 studies, the Sixth Form teaching staff and the Careers team will be on hand to guide and support you with your future choices, whether that be University, college, an apprenticeship, a gap year, studying abroad or seeking employment. All Year 12 students will have a one to one interview with the Sixth Form Careers Advisor, Mrs Skaptason, to discuss individual career plans and to receive appropriate guidance and encouragement. During the course of the school year, a variety of workshops will be available to help with the development of key employability skills. The workshops will cover a range of topics including: How to produce a good CV, Presentation Skills, Interview Skills and Personal Impact. External speakers will also visit the Sixth Form to present on other key areas.
All Year 12 students will attend the annual UCAS Convention which takes place in March/April where over 100 universities gather under one roof to offer information about their courses. In July, all Year 12s will visit Sussex University and will also attend a UCAS day onsite with a focus on personal statement writing, student life and student finance. This is followed by an evening specifically for parents. In addition, the Sixth Form team will hold an event focused on apprenticeships. All Year 12s are also encouraged to take advantage of the one week work experience opportunity in June.
As soon as you embark on your second year, the Sixth Form team will support you with your UCAS applications and will ensure you receive all the help you need when writing your personal statement. If University is not your chosen path, the team can support you with apprenticeship applications or other routes you may choose to take. At the beginning of Year 13, all students are encouraged to take part in mock interviews – these are conducted with parents/carers who work in various professions which will most benefit the students.
The Sixth Form team is here to help, encourage you and answer any question you might have about your future after Sixth Form. The door is always open and help is always available.
Key Careers Annual Activities - For Year 12:
- Applications open for shadowing schemes, summer schools Pre-med and Pre-law courses: September - October
- University open days start: January
- Oxbridge Conference at Epsom Racecourse: March
- UCAS Convention at The Brighton Centre: April
- Work Experience Week: June
- University of Sussex Campus Tour: June/July
- Next Steps Day: July
- Register for admissions tests (BMAT, UCAT, LNAT, ELAT etc.): June/July
Key Careers Annual Activities - For Year 13:
- UCAS Applications & Personal Statement Writing: September - January
- Deadline for applications to Oxbridge, Medicine, Veterinary and Dentistry: Mid October
- Mock Interviews - conducted by external professionals: November
- Admissions tests: November: December
- University interviews: November - March
- Deadline for other UCAS applications: Mid January
- Apprenticeship applications: January - July
Throughout the year: talks on apprenticeships, student finance, different careers etc.
The Sixth Form Careers Lead